“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” – Hippocrates
Cabbage has traditionally been used for medicinal purposes as well as for cooking. And today we will be talking about the properties and uses for cabbage but first….
Did you know?
“The ancient Greeks used fresh white cabbage juice to relieve sore or infected eyes, and juice from the cabbage stem is a good remedy for ulcers. Traditionally, the Romans and Egyptians would drink cabbage juice before big dinners to prevent intoxication. Reason being cabbage seeds were said to prevent hangovers.”
Pretty cool right!
- An excellent anti-inflammatory
- Cabbage contains lactic acid, which acts to disinfect the colon.
- Used to reduce the pain headaches and rheumatic disorders.
- Soothers eczema and other itching or weeping skin conditions.
- Has been known as an Anticancer.
- Draws out infection.
- Red cabbage leaves are the basic ingredient of a good cough syrup.
- It has been said if you make cabbage a regular part of your diet to reduce the risk of cancer.
- A cabbage poultice can be applied to boils and infected cuts to draw out the infection and disperse pus.
- Applied to bruises and swelling, macerated cabbage leaves will encourage healing.
- Dab white cabbage juice on mouth ulcers, and gargle for sore throats.
- A warm cabbage compress, on the affected area, reduces the pain of headaches and some kind of neuralgia.
- Drink fresh cabbage juice daily to reduce the discomfort of gastric ulcers and bronchial infections.
- A cabbage leaf, lightly pounded it can be placed directly on the breast to relieve mastitis.
- Raw cabbage juice is said to be useful for helping with ulcers, psoriasis, chronic headaches, asthma, cystitis, and bronchitis. Drink 1-2Fl. oz. daily to get the best effects.
DO NOT EAT RED CABBAGE RAW, BECAUSE THE HIGH LEVELS OF IRON CAN INTERFERE WITH CUT ABSORPTION AND IRRITATE THE GUT, CAUSING CONSTIPATION.
AVOID CABBAGE IF YOU SUFFER FROM GOITER, OR TAKE MAOI ANTIDEPRESSANTS.
RED CABBAGE (COOKED) CAN CAUSE CONSTIPATION AND IRRITATION OF THE COLON, DUE TO THE LARGE QUANTITIES OF IRON.
Although there are many benefits to eating cabbage too much of anything can be a bad thing.
Consult your doctor or physician before consuming large quantities or intend to use for medicinal purposes.
With that I hope you enjoyed this article. I enjoy reading and researching these subjects and if you would like to know where I got this information, I have the books name and ISBN number listed below and you can find it on Amazon.
Be sure to like, share and leave a comment
Visit our blog for more!
Book: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Healing Remedies by C. Norman Shealy MD, PHD
Information pulled December 16, 2018
Photo by Scott Webb from Pexels